Monday, September 24, 2007

Happy Monday

What a busy weekend. I taught four yoga classes.

My first was an hour and a half flow class. I was taking it over for Julie who was out of town. It is an intermediate class and I combined some choreography from Julie and incorporated some Astanga moves. I felt a little choppy teaching it and felt it might have gone a little too fast in the flow, but the students were not familiar with some of the asanas and I think they liked learning something new. Most of the students at our school do like a challenge. The floor series was challenging. I did a lot of hip work with strap and as Debra would say, the next day it was all “HELLO HIPS!” I could really feel it and wonder if they were all cursing me. I ran into a couple of students over the weekend and they indicated yes they did feel it but they liked it. I hope to teach that again, but if I do I intend to slow it down and not try to fit in so much.

On Saturday and Sunday I taught two Bikram classes. I am totally comfortable with that now and feel I do not sound so much like a robot now. I have been doing a lot of reading for my home study and my yoga therapy book and am taking that and trying to apply that to my teaching while staying true to the Bikram series.

Last night I taught a late Yin class. Everyone loves that class. It is so relaxing and I was able to practice that with them after having already taken a Bikram class in the morning. It felt great. What a great way to wind down the weekend.

Last week I went seven days without a Bikram class and focused on my home Yin practice, other than the hip torture class I taught on Friday and my Tuesday am class. My hips are opening up and I was very relaxed but I always miss Bikrams. This week I intend to do six Bikram classes, but tonight am doing a home practice and will kick John’s butt since he was lazy all weekend. He tried to fool me by being in bed on the bolster when I got home all night but that is all he did. The bolster is really opening up my shoulders and he needs to be consistent too. Mr. Petrified Spine and Shoulder Man.

I had a student ask me about his back issue last night and I was able to answer his question! I really am getting in to the therapy aspect of this. It just so happens I had been reading about this particular problem. I felt so knowledgeable and was so glad to give him specific suggestions that were accurate and I wasn’t just grasping for easy answers! It felt great. I love love love love love teaching and all the students I have contact with.

No comments: